Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Intuition GUT or FACTS

Recently I went for an interaction with some senior members of a company.  This also included the Heads of the various departments and also the COO for that organization.

During the discussion, one of the senior members asked how I made decisions --- using intuition (gut) or by data and facts.  And I truthfully replied that I do listen to gut or intuition and then that feeling is validated by loads of facts and data.

To this he was amazed and rebuked me saying that decisions should always be made on facts and data.

Today when I was reading a book I got reminded what I read in Mckinsey way also :)

Here is an excerpt from Mckinsey Mind

This answers my argument ............. !!!!!!!!!

untitled




This is also a smart way to put things.... See where is facts (data, market studies, research) and where is gut (intuition, opinion, rumors)......

1 comment:

Ashutosh said...

Should have asked that Guy to read Blink by Malcolm Gladwell. He says there are lot of decisions which are made in the blink on an eye even without apparently obvious facts or data.
Further, there was a report recently in TOI that says, " We make decisions much before we even realize that we have made one".