Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Best Companies to work for

Technorati Tags: ,

I recall few years back when I was preparing for my MBA I had a discussion with some one who was conducting the survey regarding the best companies to work for.  He was doing it for Business Today and was an IIM chap.  He just said that the report will be out next month and " Read it and laugh "

I did not understand what he meant at that time but today I can say that I can laugh :)

Being in corporate world and seen some companies, knowing how these surveys are conducted and what happens in an organization participating in the survey I can say that we can Laugh

Always the best companies to work for comes out to be the top names and the names too keep on changing from year to year.  The company which was in top 10 does not find its name in the next year or in the other ranking.  This is mesmerizing.

The point to see here is most of the companies are Large companies with huge work force and m cap and revenues.  What happens to the small companies.

I feel that working in a small company is far more challenging and entrepreneurial.  This is what drives satisfaction and this is what should be measured.  These surveys should measure all the needs as per the Maslow's need theory.

The other thing is that these Business Magazines should cover the Best small companies to work for also and yes they cover in US (here)

Tom also talks about the importance of Mittelstand and the competencies that these people have (here)

I just want to give a Thumb Rule

You excel only when you have to earn each days bread and butter yourself.  This is an extension of the theory which says Tie organization's goals to a persons personal Goals and then see

No comments: